We, at Horizon Medical Center, offer highly effective treatment for Sleep Apnea in Schaumburg, IL. Our leading doctor has helped his patients prevent complications like heart attack, stroke, diabetes, and other cardiovascular diseases with his treatment for snoring in Schaumburg, IL.
What is sleep, apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder characterized by breathing pauses throughout your sleep. It is a potentially serious condition coming in three types: obstructive, central, and complex sleep apnea.
If you receive complaints about your loud snores or if you feel tired even after several hours of sleep, you may need to consider Schaumburg, IL sleep apnea treatment. The obstructive apnea type occurs when throat muscles relax, while central sleep apnea occurs when your brain doesn’t efficiently send signals to the muscles responsible for breathing. Lastly, complex sleep apnea syndrome occurs when you have both obstructive and central sleep apnea. Seeking help to treat sleep apnea in Schaumburg, IL, is crucial to prevent cardiovascular problems and other health complications in the long run.
Sleep apnea treatment options
If you suffer from a mild form of sleep apnea, you can overcome the condition with certain lifestyle changes such as losing excess body weight or quitting excessive alcohol consumption or smoking. If you experience sleep apnea due to nasal allergies, our doctor may recommend an appropriate treatment for your allergies. If these measures don’t work, we use one of the following therapies to open up your blocked airway:
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP)
- Oral appliances
- Treatment for associated medical problems
- Supplemental oxygen
- Adaptive servo-ventilation (ASV)
In rare cases, surgery is necessary to overcome sleep apnea permanently. Talk to a sleep apnea doctor to learn about the different treatment options and make an informed decision.
Lifestyle and home remedies for sleep apnea
While self-care tips can help in some cases, the best way to deal with obstructive sleep apnea is to consult your family physician or an otolaryngologist. Here are a few things that you can try to overcome sleep apnea:
- Lose excess weight – Losing healthy weights and maintaining a proper BMI can relieve constriction of your throat and can resolve sleep apnea. However, the condition can recur if your weight increases.
- Exercise – Engaging in regular exercise can ease the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea and can improve your sleep quality. Try to practice moderate physical activity for at least 20 minutes a day for five days a week.
- Quit alcohol and nicotine – Quitting alcohol consumption and smoking can improve your condition and promote breathing.
Besides, avoid sleeping on your back to prevent your tongue and soft palette from blocking your airway. If you do not find relief with any self-care measures, call (847) 490-0600 to schedule an appointment with our doctor for sleep apnea in Schaumburg, IL. Our physician at Horizon Medical Center can help you overcome snoring problems and enjoy better sleep. It is vital to get help with your apnea-related issues to prevent more severe health problems in the future.